Today I’m bringing you a “Beach Chic Essentials” post, where I’m talking about pieces that I’d wear to the beach! I am totally missing the beaches of Nice and Southern France, I had such a good time (photos to be shared in part II of travel diary coming next post!).
1. Swimsuit – I mean, duh, you need a swim suit for the beach. But a long standing problem we all have is what kind is best for our body type. I have been opting for bikinis in the last couple of years, but styles have been changing and there are a LOT of cute one pieces, for some extra coverage. A lot of people have the thinking that a one piece is for someone who isn’t confident in their body, but I would disagree! I’ve seen a lot of celebrities and really confident women wearing some stunning one pieces! But how to decide what kind of suit goes best for your body? Here are my criteria for deciding:
- Do I feel comfortable in this?? **So important!!!** You don’t want to buy a suit just because it is a trend, and when you are on the beach you are so uncomfortable. You will just be squirming on the beach the entire time worrying about how you look. This has happened to me before and such a no no.
- Is it flattering? What kind of top and coverage does it have for the girls? I like having a little more coverage than showing a lot of cleavage. Halter? Spaghetti strap? strapless? Again depends on if you think it is flattering and if it is comfortable.
- Bottoms – what kind of coverage do you want? More skin showing, go for more “cheeks” peeking out, or more coverage, you can go for more traditional bikini bottoms. I like fuller coverage bottoms with some ruching, provides full coverage while still making my bottom look nice!
- What kind of tan lines do I want? I’ve seen a lot of really cool cut out swim suits – especially with one pieces, and you have to consider what kind of tan lines you are ok with, especially if they are visible with every day clothing.
2. Shoes/Sandals – I choose some cute sandals that I can wear to the beach and not worry about destroying them. Also ones that I don’t mind sand getting on them, or easily clean. I got some crazy tan lines from being on the beach in France, haha on my feet!! Never would have thought!
3. Accessories – Some cute accessories can complete the look! A big floppy hat is my go to right now, to block out the sun’s damaging rays from my face, a cute beach colored phone case (waterproof preferred), and some jewelry – a cute necklace, a ring, a floaty, a floral headpiece, for that boho look!
4. Cute tote bag to carry all your essentials – I really like these woven or straw tote bags, they are super cute and add a boho look. They also fit a lot more than you think, so they are definitely a good kind of bag to use for the beach! and you won’t mind if you get some sand in it!
5. A cute towel – I made the mistake of not bringing a towel with me to the beach in Nice, and it was a mistake because they didn’t have sandy beaches, they had pebble beaches, and oh my when the sun hits down, the pebbles are HOT! so I used a scarf as a makeshift towel, but next time I will be more prepared! There are so many cute and chic towels, with cute patterns or sayings, so many different kinds!
Shop the look below!
What are some beach essentials you MUST have? How did you determine what kind of swim suit is best for your body type? What kind of swim suit do you gravitate towards? one piece or bikini?
Let me know, I’d love to know in the comments below!